Friday 27 December 2013

Couch 'n' Pouch to 5k

Hey pups! This FitDog Friday we want to introduce to ourselves and to you guys a new thing Mom and I are doing. It's called the Couch to 5k programme started by the National Health Service (NHS) here in England and is a running scheme designed for unfit peeps, like Mom, to get them off their butts and running. The plan is to achieve 5k in 9 weeks. We think we can handle it- do you? If you are interested in checking it out there is a link to the website here. To help along with the running the NHS have created a series of podcasts to listen to as you run,  timing the various bursts of running and walking a d telling you when to start and stop.

Another element to this running thing we are doing is that we are thinking about taking up CaniX and the official body of CaniX in the UK is running a programme that is based on the Couch to 5k of the NHS but the name they have coined is Pouch to 5k. ( DM:If anyone u destined the pun or joke here please explain because what the he'll does a pouch have to do with a dog or couch?) It is literally the same but you run with your dog. The CaniX organisation runs a league table and everything for it but we're not going to do it that proper. Also, it is blooming expensive £50/$82 for a measly entry into a table and a couple of discounts we wouldn't take advantage of anyway.


Our first run:

Well, what can I say. We ran. It was OK and I like some aspects of it such as that we got to the destination quicker or that I didn't have to pull. However, it did deprive me of my sniffing time as Mom was too busy rushing ahead. First dog problems! *sigh* (DM: I found a fairly tolerable pace and the 60 seconds of running just as I was starting to feel as if I can't go on- yes I really am that unfit that 60 secs of jogging makes me want to die-and I was ready next time around. The podcasts were great at telling you when to stop and the music wasn't too bad either.) Once we got to the golf course - our destination- Mom did one lap to finish the run while I sniffed off leash to my hearts content. Thanks Mom! I displayed some wonderful recalls over large distances away from other dogs. As a reward I got a throw of my rubber toy thingy (DM: It's actually a treat dispenser but Buddy is too smart for it so it works as a chuck it as well- one of the best three quid I ever spent! ). After Mom was done running we played loads of fetch and did some sit-stays and tricks namely the roll over you can see below. (DM: I didn't expect her to do it but she did and was wonderful, we are so ready to proof the roll over!) All in all it was great and I loved it!



That's what is going on right now- hope you had a great Christmas and remember to keep fit!

Links and Wags,
Dina

4 comments:

  1. I have a couch to 5k app on my phone, I really should use it. Good for you, and good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dina, what a great program. We're so glad that you joined and hope you keep us posted. You should join our PetsMove dot Org program for more inspiration and incentive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me and Stanley just ran 6 miles yesterday! Mom said when she started running it was with a program that was much like the C2K (that's what they call it here) program. It is a good one. Just be consistent and you will be able to run a 5K in no time!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete