Saturday 1 June 2013

Water and Me

Hey pups! As to yesterdays promise I am writing about the discovery which has happened yesterday. You are all probably exciting something big and impressive but it is really a small thing, yet to Mom it is a big accomplishment in my part and she was furry happy.

Mom was outside, hanging wet laundry because it was a warm day but as it had been raining heavily for the past week -ugh- there was still a deepish puddle on our garden bench which was covered with a waterproof cover thingy. Mom is easily distracted and when she saw the tennis ball on the ground she called me over to play a little game we like to call 'Steal'. It is meant to be fetch but we haven't worked on it. So, Mom picks up the ball and tosses it- she is a really bad thrower so of course it lands in the puddle, knowing that I hate water -so thoughtful Mommy- Mom makes her way over to fish out the ball. However, before she gets there I appear the sun slicking off my back and my pearly whites glimmering (no Mom, I am not exaggerating!) and take a little tentative step and snatch the ball from the puddle. Mom was SHOCKED! I have never done that...ever! Being the curious human that she is, Mom does it again and again and by the end of the 10 minutes I am jumping in and around after the ball. Boy, Mom was over-the-moon with happiness. Mom is reading up about counter-conditioning and 'water training', so that we can give it a go and  hopefully say bye bye to the bath problems we have! Mom is telling me to write that it would get me tired out on hikes if we could play 'Steal' fetch in water- whoohoo!



Here are the sites Mom has been looking at:

Clicker Training USA
ASPCA
Swimming

Keep your ears pricked for updates!

Licks and Wags,
Dina

5 comments:

  1. Go Dina Go!!
    C'mon in, the water is FINE :)

    Wyatt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done to you Dina. I don't mind water but I hate my ears getting wet. Onwards and upwards. Have a serene Sunday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you Dina! Most of the pack love the water. Our Callie will fetch in the water until she about drops from exhaustion. Even the blind girls love to swim, Hiker follows the sound of Callie in the water. Mr. Bill will get his feet wet and that's it for him!

    Enjoy the water and maybe The Mom will get you a little pool to splash around in? On a hot day, ice cubes or chunks of ice are fun to play with in the water too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, that IS exciting! I can't tell you how pumped I was when Max first allowed himself to get wet! Yea!

    ReplyDelete