Thursday 3 April 2014

Choke Chains

Hey guys! Today's it's me, Dina Mom, at the keyboard to talk about choke chains for the C of the A to Z Challenge. I don't think I'll be able to squeeze everything into one post which I am trying to keep short during the challenge so I'll return back to the topic after the challenge. This is a part one, if you will.

What is a choke chain?

A choke chain is what is suggests; a loop of chain that goes around a dogs neck. It tightens when a dog pulls and is primarily used to 'correct' leash pulling issues.

It is a form of positive punishment and there is no other way of putting it. It is cruel. As a dog owner who uses positive reinforcement I find it completely useless.
An Association of Pet Dog Trainers UK leaflet on the matter can be found here. I encourage you all to read it.

Hugs,
Dina Mom

4 comments:

  1. Hi visiting from http://chiwawaluv.blogspot.com/ I have always had Chihuahuas and have never used a choke chain in any of their training. I use a harness which can be utilized like the choke chain. For instance If they pull on the lead you can easily give the harness a tug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll visit you back! It's great to hear that you don't use a choke chain- I can't imagine one on a Chihuahua! :) However, I don't think you should be tugging a harness either. Or a collar or head collar or anything else that you might be walking any dog on. It is so much better to teach a good reliable loose leash walking behavior.

      Delete
  2. It does seem like a cruel way to try to teach anyone. I don't think it would help me to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet so many people use this method to train their dogs!

      Delete